Chillerama: Bringing The Drive-In To Your Living Room

Before I say anything about this film, I feel I should point out how awesome the poster is. I absolutely love when I find a movie with a hand drawn poster and Chillerama has one of the best ones I've ever seen. Movie posters are unfortunately a dead art with the use of computers and digital art these days so this one most certainly deserves some recognition. The artwork is by Phil Roberts, who is known for his 80's-esque poster designs.

Chillerama contains three horror-comedies/parodies directed by various genre directors within the frame story of a bunch of people at a soon to be closed drive-in theater that also has a few freaky things going on around it.
The first film, "Wadzilla" (directed by Adam Rifkin with special effects by the legendary Chiodo Brothers [of Killer Klowns fame]) is about a man whose mutant sperm breaks loose from his body, grows to a monstrous size and begins a deadly search for a woman big enough to please it.
"I was a Teenage Werebear" (directed by Tim Sullivan) is a musical spoof of films like Rebel Without a Cause, Grease and Twilight. It's about a closeted gay teenager who, when bitten on the ass by another gay teenager, turns into a "Werebear" when aroused by a member of the same sex. This segment contained some pretty catchy songs like "Love Bit Me On The Ass".
The next story, "The Diary of Anne Frankenstein" (directed by Adam Green), is about Hitler stealing the journal of Dr Frankenstein and using it build a monster (played by the legendary Kane Hodder) that he is sure will change the tide of WWII.
The final tale, referred to as "Zom B Movie" (directed by Joe Lynch), is what the rest of film is framed within as zombies attack and infect the drive-in theater where the previous three movies are being shown.

Chillerama is the number one most ridiculous, absurd movie I've ever seen and I absolutely loved it. As I was watching it I was trying to determine which segment was the most ridiculous but I simply could not figure it out because of how insane each one was. "Wadzilla" was a giant sperm, "I Was a Teenage Werebear" was a bunch of singing, gay, burly werewolves, "The Diary of Anne Frankenstein" had Kane Hodder as a dancing, killing, jewish monster dressed as a rabbi and "Zom B Movie" was a long tribute to every zombie movie of the past mixed with the most vulgar sexual humor you've seen.

The film was chock full of cheesy special effects and outrageous dialogue with everything from exploding heads to zombies that can only be killed by a swift shot to the crotch. It was essentially a sex-crazed drive-in nightmare on steroids that will having you laughing so hard your stomach hurts and with enough subtle references to make any hardcore horror fan love it.

I loved this movie. It was probably the most fun I've ever had watching a film and will no doubt be a great time for any fan lucky enough to watch it.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger